Makes 10 bagels
Banana Bread Bagels! Far more more normal than my lemon poppy seed bagels, but equally unique and tasty. These taste exactly like banana bread, and go great with cream cheese, peanut butter, honey, Nutella, you name it. Hope you like them and don’t find them too weird!
1 tbsp / active dry yeast
2 tbsp / granulated sugar- divided
1/2 cup / warm water
4 overripe bananas- mashed
5 cups / bread flour (+ more for dusting)
1.5 tsp / salt
1 tsp / baking soda
1 tsp / vanilla extract
1 tbsp / honey (for boiling)
1 egg yolk + 1 tbsp water (egg wash)
- Add yeast and 1 tbsp granulated sugar to warm water. Set aside for 10 minutes or until the top becomes foamy. Meanwhile, whisk together bread flour, salt, the remaining sugar and baking soda.
- When yeast mixture is ready, add to the dry ingredients. Then, add bananas and vanilla extract. Using a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment, mix until a ball of dough forms (about 5 minutes). If the dough is too sticky, add more flour 1/4 cup at a time. Once it comes together, dump dough out on a lightly floured work surface and hand knead for an additional 3 minutes. The dough should become smooth and elastic at this point. *Again, if the dough is too sticky you can add more flour.
- Transfer dough ball to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a towel and let rise for 60 minutes. The dough should double in size by the end of the hour.
- When the dough is done rising, punch down the center to deflate. Then, divide into 10 equal pieces.
- Lightly flour a baking sheet and set aside. Take a piece of dough and fold the corners into each other. Then, flip over and cup your hand over it. On a non-floured work surface to shape into a ball. Place on lightly floured baking sheet and repeat with remaining pieces of dough. Cover with a towel and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water with 1 tbsp of honey to a boil.
- After the 5 minutes are up, take a dough ball and pinch your index finger and thumb through the center to make the hole. When a hole is made, take your two index fingers and stretch out the hole to about a 1 inch diameter and set back on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough balls.
- Preheat your oven to 425 °F and line two baking sheets with parchment and set aside. Once water is boiling, drop in three bagels at a time and boil for 1 minute and 10 second per side. After boiling both sides, place boiled bagels on the parchment lined sheets.
- Once all bagels are boiled, brush the tops with egg wash. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until bagels are a nice deep golden brown.