rye flour!!! crystallized ginger!!! dark chocolate!!! brown butter!!! warm clove!!! these ginger and rye chocolate chip cookies have truly become my favorite. the spicy ginger and the nutty rye go sooo well with the bitter dark chocolate, while the brown butter and brown sugar give it the ultimate chew factor??? yum. there’s even one extra egg yolk in here for extra richness!! if that doesn’t convince you to make them, idk what will but i’ll shut up now so you can get bakin’!!!!Print
spicy ginger, bitter dark chocolate, rich brown butter and nutty rye flour makes for the ultimate cookie.
- 2 sticks (226 g) unsalted butter, browned and solid at room temp (see instructions below)
- 1.5 cups (188 g) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (102 g) rye flour
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup (213 g) dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup (66 g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 cup (92 g) crystallized ginger, chopped (optional: plus more for topping)
- 1 cup (175 g) dark chocolate, roughly chopped (preferably guittard brand discs)
- first, brown the butter. in a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the butter, stirring constantly. once melted, turn heat up to medium high, and continue to cook while still constantly stirring. the butter will first foam, then turn brown. when it turns to an amber brown color, take off heat and transfer to a heat safe bowl. let cool at room temp for 30 minutes, then cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge until solid.
- in a medium bowl, whisk together, ap flour, rye flour, baking soda, salt and cloves. set aside.
- once butter is solid and cold, let sit out at room temperature for 10 minutes to soften slightly. once softened, add to a bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment. add both sugars in and beat on medium high until smooth.
- add the eggs, egg yolk, vanilla and ginger. beat on medium until fully combined.
- add in the dry ingredients and mix on low until it is almost combined, with a few streaks of flour. add in the crystallized ginger and dark chocolate, and mix until just combined.
- take the bowl off the mixer and cover with plastic wrap. chill for 30 minutes, or up to overnight.
- while chilling, prepare two pans with parchment paper and preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
- using a 2 oz scoop, scoop cookie dough and arrange onto pan, leaving about 2 inches between each cookie. (i use a half sheet sized pan which fits 4 cookies comfortably.)
- bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cookies have a nice and even golden brown color.