lemon + olive oil has slowly but surely become one of my favorite flavor combinations. the bright citrus flavor really complements the rich olive oil! these madeleines are exactly that; delicate, pillowy, and a little crisp due to granulated sugar being sprinkled in the pan pre-bake. i’ll cut it super short and get to the recipe!!Print
lemony, soft, light and crisp.
1 cup (120g) all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup (99 g) granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
zest from one whole lemon
2 large eggs, room temp
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp almond extract (can sub vanilla)
1 cup (200g) high quality olive oil
- in a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. set aside.
- in the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the lemon zest with the 1/2 cup granulated sugar. rub together with fingers, releasing the oils in the lemon zest, until it looks like lemon sand.
- add the eggs into the sugar, and whisk on medium, then on high until pale and fluffy. (about 3 minutes). towards the end, whisk in the lemon juice and almond extract.
- fold in the dry ingredients just until combined. then, drizzle in the olive oil while simultaneously whisking until fully incorporated. (it will look separated for a while, but keep whisking and it will come together).
- cover the batter with plastic wrap, pressing it down to touch the surface of the batter, and chill for 1 hour in the fridge. also chill your pan in the fridge during this time.
- preheat your oven to 400 F. brush the madeleine molds with olive oil and sprinkle with granulated sugar. then, using a tbsp measure, scoop a heaping tbsp into each mold. DO NOT spread. leave the batter in a dollop.
- bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges are golden and they have risen a good amount. let cool in the molds for 5 minutes before taking out and enjoy!